Almond Milk Benefits
Almond milk is a plant milk manufactured from almonds with a nutty flavor and a creamy texture. It is naturally rich in several vitamins and minerals.
Almond milk contains about 80% fewer calories than whole dairy milk. One cup of unsweetened almond milk contains just 30 to 50 calories, while the same amount of whole dairy milk contains 146 calories.
It is sugar-free:
Almond milk is a low carb beverage it contains only 0.6 % carbs (1-2 grams) per cup, most of which is dietary fiber. In comparison, whole dairy milk contains 13 grams of carbs per cup, most of which are sugar.
Unsweetened almond milk doesn’t t cause a spike in blood sugar levels which make it the perfect choice for people with diabetes or people who follow a low carb diet.
Good source of vitamin E:
Almond milk is a good source of vitamin E, one cup contains about half of the daily vitamin E requirement.
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps against heart disease by reducing the levels of oxidized LDL cholesterol, reduces inflammation, improves mental performance, and boosts the bone and eye health.
Great choice for vegans:
Enriched with calcium:
Almond milk is an excellent calcium source for vegans or people who have milk allergies. It is always enriched with calcium to provide you with 30 to 45% of your daily requirement per cup.
How To Make Homemade Almond Milk
To make your own Almond milk you will only need a blender, a cup of almonds and water. Follow these easy steps:
- First, soak 1 cup of almonds(200 grams) in water for 12 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. The soak will soften the skin, and make it easy to remove.
- Drain and rinse the almonds.
- Peel the skins off.
- Transfer the nuts to the blender and add water (1 cup of soaked almond to 3 cups of clean water) do not use the soaking water.
- Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- slowly pour the contents of the blender through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag, use your hands to squeeze the milk out. (you can use the leftover pulp to make almond flour, simply dry it out and store it in a jar until needed).
- Store the milk in a mason jar in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
- Shake before each use and enjoy.